Mac and Cheese is a staple at Thanksgiving for many! Try this healthy but tasty alternate
- 1 lb. dry whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Finely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish; optional)
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Set aside.
Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.
Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.
Garnish with parsley if desired.